Thursday, February 02, 2006

A POWER GREATER THAN MYSELF

"I had always believed in a Power greater than myself. I had often pondered these things. I am not an atheist. Few people really are, for that means blind faith in the strange proposition that this universe originated in a cipher and ainlessly rushes nowhere. My intellectual heroes, the chemists, the astonomers, even the evolutionists, suggested vast laws and forces at work. Despite contrary indications, I had little doubt that a mighty purpose and rhythm underlay it all. How could there be so much of precise and immutable law, and no intelligence? I simply had to believe in a Spirit of the Universe, who knew neither time nor limitation. But that was as far as I could go.

With ministers, and the world's religions, I parted right there. When they talked of a God personal to me, who was love, superhuman strength and direction, I became irritated and my mind snapped shut against such a theory.

To Christ I conceded the certainty of a great man, not too closely followed by those who claimed Him. His moral teaching -- most excellent. For myself, I had adopted those parts which seemed convenient and not too difficult; the rest I disregarded.

The wars which had been fought, the burnings and chicanery that religious dispute facilitated, made me sick. I honestly doubted whether, on balancer, the religions of mankind had done any good. Judging from what I had seen in Europe and since, the power of God in human affairs was negligible, the Brotherhood of Man a grim jest. If there was a Devil, he seemed the Boss Universal, and he certainly had me."

Author: Bill Wilson Co-founder of A.A. 1895-1971

Bill's Story

No comments: